Automatic plugin updates are coming to WordPress 5.5

I am sure there will be a filter to be able to disable the feature, since automatic plugin updates unless you know the plugin being updated and not checking still has a chance to cause site issues.

3 Likes

Automatic theme updating is also going to happen.
https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/49199

I’m using a plugin to disable all automatic udpates on every single WordPress I maintain: Easy Updates Manager – WordPress-Plugin | WordPress.org Deutsch

1 Like

Easy Updates Manager plugin is bit of a mess.

The featured plugin is on the WP repo now.

Yeah? Why do you think so? It worked for me so far?!

Because I have seen that plugin mask plugin updates where client sites that had 30-40 plugin updates that were needed.

There should be a constant that can be defined in the sites wp-config.php file to disable the automatic plugin updates.

define( 'WP_DISABLE_PLUGINS_AUTO_UPDATE', true );

The constant that should be able to be used to disable automatic theme updates by setting this in the sites wp-config.php file.

define( 'WP_DISABLE_THEMES_AUTO_UPDATE', true );

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Looks like there is a merge announcement for the feature plugin into WordPress core.

The existing constants have been dropped but hopefully there will be additional filters to disable the UI for plugin and theme updates.

The filter naming might change.

add_filter( 'wp_plugins_auto_update_enabled', '__return_false' )

To disable the plugins updates UI.

add_filter( 'wp_themes_auto_update_enabled', '__return_false' )

To disable the themes updates UI.