Disable automatic plugins and themes auto-updates in WordPress 5.5

Disable automatic plugin updates in WordPress 5.5 which will be released in August 2020.

Snippet Type

Execute on Child Sites

Snippet

add_filter( 'plugins_auto_update_enabled', '__return_false' );
add_filter( 'themes_auto_update_enabled', '__return_false' );
2 Likes

Existing constants have been removed but there should be a filter to disable in the UI.

Hi - does that mean the add_filter you supplied won’t work after all?

…and - just as an aside, for something like this (or other things like this) is there an easy way via mainWP to update a bunch of sites’ function.php files with similar code in one go (albeit very carefully)?

The constant was the method used before but the filter method will work. I would recommend to use the code snippets extension instead of dealing with updating the functions.php file on a bunch of active child themes sites.

All of the filters and examples will be published on HelpHub soon enough related to the auto updates for plugins and themes.

You can find the full history in this post.

Ok thanks - so that constant you first mentioned has been changed then? That’s all I was looking for confirmation of (and if so, I appreciate it may well change again when 5.5 is released)

1 Like

Correct the PHP constants have been removed but the filters options will be staying.

Will make sure that the code snippets related to auto plugins and themes gets updated closer to the release of WordPress 5.5 in August 2020.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Looks like a constant was added back for being able to disable all updates.

define( 'AUTOMATIC_UPDATER_DISABLED', true );

The correct filter names is updated in the post now.

add_filter( 'plugins_auto_update_enabled', '__return_false' );
add_filter( 'themes_auto_update_enabled', '__return_false' );
1 Like