OpenSSL incompatible

I have 3 sites that disconnected and won’t reconnect. I have been through a lot of testing, setting up cloudflare, checking firewalls, turning off plugins and themes etc to no avail. I have now carefully checked the status pages for sites that do connect and those that don’t and a lot are showing warnings for having OpenSSL/1.1.1 installed but in particular the ones that aren’t connecting have OpenSSL/1.1.1d and those that are have OpenSSL/1.1.1l. Could it be the d version is not allowing connection?

Hi Rich,

I don’t think that the D would make difference. I believe that there is something else causing connection issues.

For the start, can you tell me what response do you get if you use the test connection feature and what error message do you get when you try to reconnect these sites?

Also, have these sites been moved from a different server recently?

Hi Bogdan

Should both the OpenSSL1.1.1l and OpenSSL1.1.1d show as a warning anyway as they are both greater than the OpenSSL1.1.0 that the test suggests it’s comparing against?

Test Connection returns: Connection successful!
URL: gdprforaccountants.com (IP: xx.xx.xx.xx,xx.xx.xx.xx) - Received HTTP-code: 200 (OK)

Error Message: ERROR MainWP Child plugin not detected or could not be reached! Ensure the MainWP Child plugin is installed and activated on the child site, and there are no security rules blocking requests. If you continue experiencing this issue, check the <a href=“Support - MainWP Community” target="_blank>MainWP Community for help.

Thanks

Hi Rich,

Should both the OpenSSL1.1.1l and OpenSSL1.1.1d show as a warning anyway as they are both greater than the OpenSSL1.1.0 that the test suggests it’s comparing against?

You can ignore that warning, the version comparison issue will be addressed in the next release.

Regarding the connection problem, I believe that there is some security rule that is causing it.

Would you mind opening a private Help Desk ticket so we can collect some additional information & investigate further?

Upon further investigation in the ticket #8112, we found that when running connection tests or trying to reconnect sites, requests end up at the wrong IP.

In some cases, when the DNS is not configured properly, requests end up on the wrong server (IP) and issues like this happen.

I have seen multiple times where this happens after sites are moved from one to another server (IP) and the DNS cache on the MainWP Dashboard site server keeps causing requests to re​​​​solve to old/incorrect server (IP).

If you moved sites from a different server recently, the problem should go away in a day or two after the DNS cache is flushed automatically, but if that doesn’t happen, you can ask your host support to manually flush the DNS cache.

If your sites haven’t been migrated recently, it’s more than likely that the DNS is not configured properly and it might be best to reach out to your host support and have them check that.​​​​​

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.