That administrator username was not found

Hi there, I am getting this message when trying to add a site to MainWP:

That administrator username was not found on this child site. Please verify that it is an existing administrator.
Hint: Check if the administrator user exists on the child site, if not, you need to use an existing administrator.

I have checked and I am definitley using the correct admin, any help please?
Thanks.

I’ve seen this recently, but that was a simple mistake, because I used an Uppercase letter, while on the site it was entered in lowercase, so you should check that first.

Thanks Jos,
I have checked and it is perfect. Any other Ideas?

Hi Matt,

Do you use some plugin to modify role permissions on the site you are trying to connect?

Hi Bogdan, thanks for the reply.
No, I have not changed permissions; I did however change the admin name in the backend because it was not a safe username.

Have you updated it in your child site edit page (in your MainWP Dashboard)?

The site is not on the MainWp dashboard yet, that is the problem.
Thanks,
Matt

How did you change the admin name? Can you please check in the database (via phpMyAdmin) in the wp_users table if both the user_login and user_nicename have been changed? The user_login should be the name MainWP is using (correct me if I’m wrong), when the user_nicename should be the same in lowercase and with spaces and special characters replaced. Also check if the old name hasn’t left a trace in that record.

1 Like

Thanks Jos,
I’m going to need some help, when I originally changed it (a long time ago), I did it in cPanel, which has now changed in Siteground and I’m not sure how to find it.
Thanks,
Matt

Please check the documentation how you can access phpMyAdmin: How to Access phpMyAdmin? - SiteGround KB

Also check the user profile on the client site, because the correct user name should also be visible in the non-editable field “User name”.

Hi Jos,
I got into phpMyAdmin but don’t know where to go now, sorry.
Yes, th “User Name” is correct.
Thanks,
Matt

Find the table wp_users (where “wp_” is the table prefix and may be different in your case). When you see the data in that table check the row for your user id. You can use the Search function if you have a lot of users.

Just to be sure: please be careful what you do in phpMyAdmin and don’t change anything without knowing what you’re doing.

Hi Jos,
I don’t see any files?

There are no files, just open the database by clicking c147webd at the left and the tables will show up.

Fantastic, i’m in.
The user login matches, should I change the use_nicename? I’ve never heard of user_nicename.
Thanks for your patience.
user_pass is not the same as the password?

Can you share both here?
The user_nicename is similar to post and page permalinks. Like when a post with the tiitle “This is a great article!” will get the permalink: “this-is-a-great-article”, with alle text in lowercase, spaces replaced by dashes and special characters removed.

image no special characters just uper/lower case and numbers?

These 2 fields are clearly not similar. Please change the value autoadmin to the lowercase version of the user_login. Hopefully it will work then.

1 Like

Hi Jos, Have done that.
The test connection says 200 (ok) but when I press add site it still throws the error?
Thanks,
Matt