Two way syncing of settings for Updraft and Rocket?

Hi, I just set up a test site and noticed that the Updraft and Rocket extensions don’t pull the settings from the child site. Is this correct? I had a pre-configured site with WP Rocket and all the settings on the Rocket extension were blank, when I edited one of them, it cleared all the settings to the child site. Same with Updraft.

Did I miss some setting or syncing option?
I tried the “Load Settings” option in Rocket > Dashboard > Bulk Actions, but it didn’t really seem to do anything.

Hi @ecotechie, the best way you will want to think of things is your Dashboard controls your Child sites and not the opposite way. All you Child sites do is provide information to the Dashboard and your Dashboard handles the controls.

If you have a set configuration for WPRocket and Updraft that you use on all sites then you can set those directly for each plugin.

For Example, all your settings have the same Rocket settings, you would use the “Update WP Rocket Settings on All Your Sites” on the help page below, if some have different settings then you would want to override those using the directions under “Update WP Rocket Settings on a Single Site

Hope that helps!

Got it, so the Child sites never communicate their plugin settings to the Dashboard. That makes this feature only useful for setting up new sites then, right? Because if I want to change an existing Child’s settings there is no way for the Dashboard to know what they are.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

@ecotechie Inside each MainWP Extension it’s setup to have “Global Settings” and then on each Child Site Overview page there are “Individual Settings” that may overide the “Global settings”.

When you first install a Child Site onto your MainWP Dashboard you have the option to Check to Install the plugins you use in your stack and also Uncheck to push the settings to the new Child Site ( in case they were already set and you were planing on using the “individual settings” )

Please let us know if we have cleared up all your questions.

1 Like

Thanks for the follow up Keith, I think I get it.

If I read your reply correctly, there is no two way communication with the plugin settings. The Dashboard sets the Child Site’s (or global) settings, but never knows what they are on the Child site, right?

It would be very helpful if the Dashboard could show what the current settings are on a Child Site, when first adding it or afterwards. Since if that’s not the case, we are kinda blindly editing settings. Unless we start fresh or don’t care about the existing settings. WP Rocket comes to mind. I often see sites with some complex settings that I would not want to overwrite.

1 Like

@ecotechie Yes, the Dashboard sets the settings. As of right now for UDP for example when you sync with a Child Site that already has UDP installed and setup, the only “settings/data” that are pulled into MainWP is Existing Backups. The “settings” aren’t pulled in.

I agree that this would actually be beneficial if when you Sync a child site it updates the Child Site overview Settings even if they are not “enabled”.

I can’t say that it’s something that will be able to be added over night, due to the amount of extensions, however,I would make a Feature request post so that it’s documented, lists exactly what you are looking for & so everyone can vote on it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.